How To Maintain A Positive Mindset While Job Hunting
Guest writer: Orion Talmay
Job hunting through the pandemic is an uncertain process, and it can take a long time before you get a bite – so it's important you have a plan in place to keep your spirits up and maintain a positive mindset throughout your search.
Patience is a virtue in today's market, whether you’ve recently lost your job or just graduated into the working world. But that’s easier said than done. Continually sending off CVs without receiving a response would test the emotional endurance of a seasoned marathon runner.
It’s understandable you feel disheartened and unmotivated by the radio silence, though it's equally important to stay proactive and not give up when you feel most down. In this article, we explore the following ways you can stay positive when your inbox is empty:
- Creating a healthy routine to boost morale
- Inspiring yourself by listening to a motivational podcast
- Taking an online course to keep your mind sharp
Coronavirus has affected every industry from IT recruitment to hospitality. Read on as we run through these ideas and provide actionable tips on how to incorporate them into your day without impacting the job hunt.
Create a healthy routine around your job hunt
Rather ironically, hunting for a job often turns into a full-time affair, where your efforts are rarely recognised – or seen – by anyone but yourself.
Like the real thing, It’s important you don’t overcommit to the job search and sacrifice valuable personal time. Instead, create a routine around your day, and fill it with some other proactive, more fulfilling activities.
Stuck in the doldrums of writing cover letter after cover letter? Here are some ways you can split up the day and create a more healthy routine:
- Release your endorphins with a simple home workout
- Go out for a walk and get away from the computer
- Fuel up with a balanced meal plan and drink lots of water
- Give yourself a well-deserved Netflix break
Remember to pencil in regular breaks away from the job hunt and take time for yourself – this way you can establish a routine that makes sense and keeps your spirits up.
Get inspired by listening to a motivational podcast
In the age of online streaming, podcasts seem to be the answer to every scenario – but when it comes to the job hunt they can be a real help.
Humans crave conversation and positive interaction, but when you’re endlessly firing off emails, the day becomes eerily silent and lonely at times. Podcasts offer a way to reconnect with the world, fill your mind with ideas, and engage with interesting conversations.
Not sure where to begin? Get started by trying these motivational podcasts:
- TED Radio Hour: In this expert discussion around personal wellness, you can pick up breathing techniques and advice to help make sense of the world around you. This is ideal for someone who needs to clear their mind and de-stress from the job search.
- Stellar Life by Orion: Here Orion provides advice on her podcast to help boost your self-esteem and place you in a positive mindset for the day ahead. The show is all about self-actualisation, which is the perfect fuel for your job hunt.
- Fake Doctors, Real Friends: Join Donald Faison and Zach Braff in this Scrubs reunion podcast. The funny anecdotes and fascinating stories are enough to lift anyone's mood, even if you’re not familiar with the award-winning sit-com.
- Happier by Gretchen Rubin: With this podcast, you have access to over 300 expertly crafted episodes about how we can explore happiness through individuality. The show is hosted by human nature writer Gretchen Rubin, so you’re in good hands for the journey ahead.
These podcasts are a great starting block, but as you continue your search, you're bound to find new shows tailored to your taste. After all, there seems to be a podcast about everything nowadays.
Keep your mind sharp by taking an online course
Job hunting is a monotonous process, made even more so by the string of lockdown restrictions in the wake of coronavirus. Although you could use this downtime to engage in something productive and give your CV a boost.
Enter online courses – a fantastic way to upskill your talents and upgrade your CV.
Education is a precious resource, and because of sites like Skillshare and Hubspot Academy, the privilege of learning is more abundant than ever before. With these sites, you can train in all manner of industry-specific niches like:
- Search engine optimisation
- Content marketing
- Writing for the web
- HTML coding
Using these courses (and countless more), you can sharpen your skills, feel more fulfilled, and make yourself more appealing to prospective employers.
Job hunting is no enviable task – it takes hard work, dedication, and at times a dash of luck. The process can be long and laborious, so a positive mindset is key.
From listening to podcasts and creating a healthy routine, to diving into some online learning, use these tips to spur on your efforts and land your dream job.