My Burning Question:
Ask the Expert - Why & How
Mark Pick from Pick Cloud
Continuing my Cloud journey, I looked for some of the industry greats to help me with my questions. Here's my discoveries from Mark Pick, CEO of Pick Cloud. I believe CEO in this case also stands for Cloud Evangelist Officer !
What is your definition of the cloud ?
We use the definition as provided by the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) - Convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service-provider interaction.
What are the benefits ?
Our customers have seen many benefits from moving to the cloud including:
- Saving money. Minimize capital expenditures and other upfront costs.
- Get the best infrastructure money can buy without buying any of it.
- Spend less of your budget on hardware, power, maintenance and administration. On average a single server costs about $60 a month in heating and cooling costs alone.
- Stay ahead of the technology curve. You don’t have to worry about refreshing out of date capital equipment. Maintenance and upgrade costs are part of a single monthly fee, so your spend is predictable and manageable.
- 99.999% uptime.
- Pay only for what you use. No more paying exorbitant fees for an underutilized server.
- 24x7 availability and access from anywhere
- Daily backups and high levels of redundancy available.
- Highest level of Internet security available.
What are the drawbacks ?
There are drawbacks to the cloud including downtime, security issues, cost, inflexibility and support. The solution to these issues is to make sure you do your due diligence and select a reputable hosting partner and Internet Service Provider (ISP).
The Internet is the world’s marketplace. With an Internet connection you will be able to communicate with suppliers, customers, prospects and employees. To succeed, you have to leverage everything the Internet and cloud have to offer or your competition will do it for you!
Are there any times the cloud isn’t the right solution ?
If your company has access to the Internet then you are an ideal candidate for the cloud and can take advantages of all the benefits it has to offer.
Do you think the future is in the Cloud ?
Without a doubt! MultiValue applications are a natural fit for the cloud. As I have been stating in the #PICKis50 presentations, we have come full circle from timeshare to cloud. We are all about rejuvenating and preserving MultiValue and cloud is just one of the many ways we can do that.
What are your Cloud offerings ? (UK and USA and worldwide)
We have several offerings including but not limited to:
- Monthly Managed Hosting - We offer managed monthly hosting packages of not just MultiValue applications, but web servers, or just about anything our clients need hosted. We have access to data centers in the UK, and across all time zones in North America.
- OpenQM DBaaS – in conjunction with Ladybridge Systems, we offer the first true MultiValue DBaaS for as little as $15 per user per month. With that you get a fully functioning OpenQM license, AccuTerm 7 and all the hardware and infrastructure you need. All you need is an Internet connection!
- Short-term server leasing – in some cases, you just need a server short term. We offer servers short term for as little as $15 per day! No long-term commitments. Use it for as long or as little as you would like.
- Professional Services – We know PICK! We have a network of developers with decades of PICK experience. We can do work on a per project basis or per hour - whichever way is more convenient for you. We are database agnostic and can work on any MultiValue platform whether it be D3, UniVerse, UniData, Reality, OpenQM and more. You PICK it we know it!
How can you get there ?
One way is to try it before you buy it! We offer free 15-day trials with no commitment required. When people try it and see how easy it is, they typically buy it and before the end of the trial.
For more information or to continue a conversation with Mark Pick, contact Pick Cloud.
Website: www.mypickcloud.com Facebook: www.fb.com/mypickcloud Twitter: www.twitter.com/mypickcloud Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (949) 415-7778